Any personal information you provide will be held securely and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Our Information Management Charter sets out how we handle and protect personal information.
From time to time, we may ask for further information about you (such as your name, job title, postal address, telephone, fax number and e-mail address) as part of online surveys or services. This information will be used to enable us to improve our web site.
It may also be used occasionally to inform you about important changes to the web site and our services, where this is the case you will be given the opportunity to tell us if you do not want the information used for this purpose.
Database search services
Whilst the Intellectual Property Office takes all reasonable care in the provision of its services, it does not guarantee the accuracy of its publications, data records or advice, nor accept any responsibility for errors or omissions or their consequences.
The Intellectual Property Office reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw without notice any part or all of this service. The information available on this site is not intended to be comprehensive, and many details which may be relevant to particular circumstances have been omitted.
It should not be regarded as being a complete and authoritative source of intellectual property information, and readers are advised to seek independent professional advice before acting on anything contained herein.
We use public beta testing to ensure that when we fully release a service it is as stable and functional as possible. As a result, beta services may change or display problems.
Acceptable use of our database search services
The Intellectual Property Office database services are designed to meet the needs of a wide range of users wishing to interrogate our information on-line.
Due to limitations of equipment and bandwidth, they are not intended to be a source for bulk downloads.
Individuals, companies, IP addresses or blocks of IP addresses who deny or degrade service to other users by generating unusually high numbers of daily database accesses, whether generated manually or in an automated fashion may be denied access to these services without notice.
Links to other websites
The Intellectual Property Office is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked web sites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing should not be taken as endorsement of any kind.
We cannot guarantee external links will work at all times and we have no control over their availability.
To make users aware that they are leaving our site, we will usually mark external links with a icon .
The Information Management Charter describes how the Intellectual Property Office (IPO), looks after your personal information. Laws including the Data Protection Act and Patents Acts govern our duties and your rights.
When we ask you for personal information, we will make sure we:
- let you know why we need it
- ask for what we need, and not collect too much or irrelevant information
- protect it and nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- let you know if we share it with other organisations and if you can say no
- don’t keep it longer than necessary
- don’t make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to help us to keep your information reliable and up to date by:
- giving us accurate information
- telling us as soon as possible about any changes, such as a new address.
Please email email@example.com or ring 0300 200 3000 if you want more details on:
- the information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- the agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
- the information we publish as part of our statutory obligations
- the circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymised statistics
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date
- how to make a complaint.
Independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, is available from:
The Information Commissioner
Tel: +44 (0) 1625 545745
Fax: +44 (0) 1625 524510
Intellectual Property Office is an operating name of the Patent Office